How to Manage Your Employees Correctly
As a CEO of a major company or a small business venture, surely you know that the way you manage your employees will directly affect your business’ success. Cheerful and hard-working employees will help the company immensely in achieving its visions. On the contrary, stressed and unmotivated employees will immediately threaten your business’ overall performance.
Directing the employees from social and performance aspects can be a daunting task. Numerous backgrounds and generations of the employees can exacerbate the problem. The striking difference in purposes, motivations and point of views to the job may potentially hamper the efficiency of the company’s work progress.
Therefore, how can you manage your employees effectively? Look at some tips down below!
Without good communication, you can never manage your employees skillfully. Communication is not about just how to deliver your messages, but also how to listen to your employees. To become a good communicator, you can do several steps, such as:
- Be consistent. Make sure that you are always available anytime the employees need your presence. Provide positive or negative feedback.
- Actions, not words. Never say things that you are not going to do in the first place. This will result in the employees’ reluctance to listen to you, and a loss of their respect to you.
- Provide personal touches. If possible, engage in face-to-face conversation instead of through e-mail or phone calls.
Master Nonverbal Communications
The employees will not automatically say everything on their minds. Because of that, it is important for you to recognize non-verbal body gestures. By knowing their opinions through non-verbal communications, you can talk to them more effectively.
One of the easiest way to understand non-verbal communication is when someone crosses their hands while you are talking, which means that the person is not paying attention or disagreeing with your opinion. If you discover your employees scratching their head backs after your explanation, it means that they still have confusion.
Read Also: Increasing Business Competitiveness with Adaptive System
Define Clear Expectations
Your expectations to your employees and their expectations to themselves are an immense strength. That strength will define your employees’ performance in the future. As the leader, you can control your employees’ accomplishments by giving them the support that they need.
Please do not refrain from showering them with praises when they are successful. Recognize their loyalty and hard work for the company. As trivial as it might sounds, those praises will boost their confidence and performance for your business in the end.
When the employees feel that their results are not fulfilling their leader’s expectations, their self-worth and performance will degrade rapidly. Because of that, the management has to motivate the employees regularly and push their performance to balance their self-worth with other employees that might have done better results than they might.
Having loyal employees is very important for the company, because employee loyalty in the workplace can improve the company’s daily operational performance. It can also help to attract new talent and reduce the frequency of employee turnover. Here are some reasons why employee loyalty is important:
- Increase productivity: Loyal employees will usually tend to seek improvement and success in their current workplace. Employees who have a positive personality and high motivation can give a good influence and motivate other employees.
- Improve customer experience: Employees who value the company and its values can convey these values to customers through daily interactions. This can lead to a better customer experience and increased customer loyalty.
- Improve company image: Employee satisfaction also affects the company image. Increasing employee satisfaction with the company will make employees have a positive opinion on the company’s image.
- Increase production: Highly motivated employees are more likely to meet or exceed production goals, even under conditions such as high production demand that makes employees vulnerable to stress. They can also find more effective and efficient methods to help other employees as well as the company.
- Drive growth and improvement: Many loyal employees tend to be change agents or individuals who adopt new policies or changes first. This can increase the effectiveness of improvement efforts and enable the growth of the company’s organization.
- Improve recruiting skills: Employees who feel valued in an organization will encourage other job seekers to work in the organization. This can help companies find new talent and fill available positions more quickly.
Read Also: Understanding The Importance of Company Risk Management in Building a Business
Employee branding is a form of branding employees on the company’s image by implementing the vision, mission, and core values in an organization in a company. It is intended that these employees can convey the message and impression of the company to customers and the public. In other words, this branding is an act that aligns the behavior of employees and their perspective on the company or reflects the image of the company.
Employee branding can be done through word of mouth (how your employees talk about your company to others), social advocacy (your employees’ actions and ideas are visible to the public),
and others. Employee branding is very important to form a company’s brand identity (or brand image) to current and prospective employees, partners, customers and others who want to work for the company.
By building a positive corporate image, the business will be greatly helped in many ways. Here are some of the benefits of employee branding:
1. Increase of online visibility
An employee’s voice and opinion is considered three times more credible than that of a CEO. So, positive word of mouth by employees on social media or online forums can help get better online visibility for the company’s image in the digital world.
2. Increase of employee involvement and performance
Good employee branding also means a good work environment, career advancement, personal development, and others. Thus, these things also help increase their productivity.
3. Abundance of talented employee
Employee branding can help organizations recruit the best talent out of all the best candidates. The reason is because the company’s image also has a big influence on the quality of employee candidates who want to work at the company.
4. Decrease of employee turnover
By focusing on company and employee branding, it will be easier for companies to get qualified candidates, namely the best of the best employee candidates. This will also reduce the possibility of replacing the employee in the near future, and prevent him from resigning from the company for reasons such as a bad work environment and so on.
Read Also: 4 Important Benefits of Databases for Companies
Kaizen is a Japanese term that means “change for the better” or “continuous improvement”. Kaizen is a Japanese business philosophy that focuses on increasing productivity gradually by involving all employees and by making the work environment and processes more efficient.
The kaizen process aims for continuous improvement processes that occur not only in the manufacturing sector, but in all other departments as well. Implementing Kaizen is not the responsibility of one individual, but of everyone associated with the company organization. Every individual, regardless of title or position in the company’s organizational hierarchy, needs to contribute by making small improvements and changes in the system.
Many companies have adopted the kaizen concept, one of which is the Japanese automotive company Toyota. This international Japanese company applies the philosophy of kaizen in its organization and makes it one of the core values. In its production system, Toyota encourages
and empowers all employees to identify areas with potential for improvement and improvement and create the best possible solutions.
Read Also: Understanding How Cloud Computing Works for Your Company
The Toyota Way is a philosophy, standard and management principle applied to world-class automotive companies such as Toyota Motor Corporation. Many large international companies besides Toyota are also applying this principle around the world.
The Toyota Way is a corporate management guideline based on two basic principles of continuous improvement (kaizen) and respect for others.
According to Liker, Toyota’s management philosophy can be categorized into four main principles, namely:
- Long-term philosophy: Focusing on long-term sustainability rather than short-term gains and fostering a sense of purpose in employees for productivity.
- The right process will produce the right result: Continuous improvement is carried out by eliminating the seven wastes namely overproduction, waiting processes, unnecessary product transportation, over processing, incorrect processing, excess inventory, wasted movement and defects which is not used. Employees must take the role of stopping production when the above problems occur.
- Add value to the organization by developing staff and employees: Leaders should adopt and promote the philosophy to employees; employees and teams must adhere to the philosophy and the results of team work must be recognized; development of business partners and suppliers must be fostered as well as through employee development.
- Troubleshoot root causes continuously to encourage organizational learning: Managers must monitor operations personally to understand problems; solutions must be determined by consensus and implemented quickly; the organization must consistently monitor and evaluate its own practices aimed at continual improvement
Read Also: Professional Data Entry Training
These are some ways for you to manage your employees properly. The process of employee management and development commonly lies in the responsibility of the HR (human resources) department. However, due to the problematic nature of this task, ACE (AdIns Center of Excellence) is ready to lend you help with an IT outsourcing service. ACE is developed to accommodate business owners’ needs in focusing on their primary tasks while leaving the IT staffs’ management to AdIns. Contact our team immediately to receive more information details!